Does it affect or help my child if I have a language background?
Every child that is enrolled in the Dual Program goes through the same process of learning. Children who hear other languages spoken at home tend to learn languages faster. Some ideas for home are:
- Interact with your child.
- Learn about dual language education.
- Encourage your child to speak the second language.
- Give your child the benefit of the doubt.
- Do not ask your child to translate. This requires advanced skills that could frustrate your child.
- Try to avoid comparing your child’s progress to that of other children. Rates of progress differ.
- Be willing to participate in opportunities to expose your child to Spanish and culture(s)outside school.
- Praise your child for his or her progress.