Montessori Community School is offering speech, language and hearing screenings on Tuesday, September 9th. The screenings will be a brief measure of your child’s speech and language skills in order to determine if further speech and language, or hearing evaluations are needed.
The speech and language screening will take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete. After the completion of the screening, we will identify if there are concerns regarding your child’s speech and language skills or hearing. A note will be sent home with your child regarding the results of the screening and if further assessment is warranted.
You might consider having your child’s speech, language and hearing screened if your child shows one or more of the following:
- Your child has a difficult time learning and using new concepts and vocabulary
- Your child has had chronic ear infections
- You and others have a hard time understanding your child’s speech. Your child’s speech is less intelligible than their peers
- Your child does not combine 2-5 words in their speech
- You suspect your child may have a fluency disorder: stuttering
- Your child has difficulty asking and answering “wh” questions
- Your child becomes easily frustrated when trying to tell you something
- See Let’s Talk! Speech and Language Therapy for more information on speech and language delay warning signs